Dealing with reverse culture shock
Here are some suggestions that have helped with reverse
- Stay in touch with all of your friends that you made
overseas. You have their e-mail address and pictures
you can share with them.
- Look through all of your pictures you have taken and
read through your journal. It’s amazing what you have
forgotten and what kind of memories come back.
- Do something new that interests you and avoid going
back to your old habits. Basically, try not to fall back
into your previous routine. You have an opportunity to
start over again.
- Visit the backpackers’ newsgroups on the Internet and
give advice. Many times there are other backpackers in
need information and post questions to the
newsgroups. Share your experience/advice with others.
- Rebuild your new life with what you have learned
while travelling. You are the new and improved
version and can start fresh. Take advantage of this.
- Think about having daily adventures on more micro
instead of a macro level.
- Walk through a new park, join a club, or take some